Home
Historic Sloatsburg
Glenwood Hotel
The Henry Club
Jacob Sloat House
Old Cemetery
John Sloat's Burial Plot
The Sloats House & Inn
The Ramapo Pass
The Sloat Dam
Old Erie Railroad Station
Cappermore Farm
Brown's Gate
Brown's Family
Taylors Corner
Knapps's Dam

 

 

 

Jacob Sloat House
Written by Peter Bush


"Harmony Hall", original home of Jacob Sloat, built 1848. A considerable example of late Greek Revival style. Typified by raised center section and flanking symmetrical wings, with verandah carried by squared piers or classical antae. Built on a knoll in the town center of Sloatsburg, NY, the grounds included a long entrance drive with fountain and garden ornaments in the manner of design suggested by the influence of horticulturist, Andrew Jackson Downing.

Jacob was a mechanical genius and held the third patent granted by the U.S.A. in 1813. In addition, Jacob was the owner and operator of a mill for the manufacture of cotton cloth and later twine in connection with stocks and dies, in which latter articles Jacob Sloat was soon to lead the New York market.

The mill provided an economic anchor for the village of Sloatsburg, providing jobs and resulting in a vital commercial main street that included sundry shops, eating establishments and three houses of worship.

In the 20th Century "Harmony Hall" became an elegant restaurant and later a rest home for women. Harmony Hall has recently been purchased by the Town of Ramapo under their open space program.  A committee has been established to preserve, restore and oversee the operation of Harmony Hall.  The Chairperson of this Committee is Mr. Harrison O. Bush.